- Have you ever offered your child the choice to sleep outdoors? Outdoor sleeping is becoming increasingly popular in Australia and has many benefits to children’s health, wellbeing and development, including;
- Developing a healthy sleep routine. Children sleeping outside have been shown to have longer and deeper sleeps.
- More flexible sleep. Children sleeping outside tend to be more flexible about where they sleep and experience less sleep-related issues as adults.
- Better immune system. By sleeping outside, children are exposed to oxygen-rich air that helps their immune system create antibodies that fight off infection and reduces illness.
- Improved cognitive and physical development. Sleeping outside encourages children to be more engaged in nature and outdoor play and increase brain activity.
- Outdoor naps provide children with the vitamin D they need to strengthen bones and muscles.
- Reducing stress. Sleeping outside, lulled by the surrounding sounds, has a stress reductive effect.
- Follow sleep safety guidelines from Red Nose Australia
- Make sure the weather conditions are safe for sleep
- Ensure your child is appropriately dressed
- Position your child in the shade on sunny days and follow sun safe practices when UV is 3+
- Ensure the surrounding environment is safe before your child goes for a sleep.
- Never leave your child unsupervised whilst sleeping
To learn more about the benefits of outdoor sleeping, visit the links below;
The babies who nap in sub-zero temperatures – BBC News